Thursday, June 10, 2010

...

So enough shenanigans, theres a lot to go through here.

This week has definitely been one of the most special weeks of my mission, on a lot of different levels. Ive been able to come closer to the Lord, and He heard my prayers, and answered my fasts. He has pulled me closer to Him and helped realize HIs hand in this work and in my Life on a much deeper level.
We had the last Zone COnference of the Japan Hiroshima Mission this last week and we all saw miracles happening in this mission. Currently one of the Zones (Yamaguchi) has baptismal dates in all areas with some of them already having been baptized. The whole mission is pumping it out (Im getting goose gumps) and the Lord is literally carrying us - in every aspect of the work.
In our area we were able to see Brother Cho`s baptism this saturday!!!!! He is a powerhouse!!!!! He chose me to perform it and it was such a sweet, wonderful experience: as he came out of the water, he was so happy - just kept saying "Its so light! I feel so light!! Whoo!"
It was truly incredible! The whole branch was so excited and so was he. There were moments of worry before the baptism - times when even I would doubt `Is he really gonna get baptized this saturday?` but I repented and we continued to work hard and do all we could. I dont even know how to explain it, but the impossible became possible. I looked at the dates, looked at what needed to be done, and just saw this overwhelming wall in front of us. "Can we really do this?"
But the Lord is the Lord of the Harvest. He carried us and made what was impossible under our own abilities, possible. And it happened. He is so happy! Bro. Cho is already talking about going to the temple before going back to China next year, and he wants to help build the first chapel in closed China. He is a modern pioneer along with all those that listen to the voice of the good shepherd. ITs truly a humbling experience to be here and watch all this happen. The Spirit of God is burning (leaving my poor district leader so swamped with interviews and travel that theyre barely getting to work in their own area - which has enough difficulties of their own).
And along with the wall that we were seeing with everything that was going on, Bro Fukuhara is also getting baptized this next Saturday!! He saw Chos baptism and got a little nervous about the water - but we told him that my companion and I both will go in the water with him, and while my companion performs the baptism, Ill stand behind and support him - he seemed satisfied with that haha. Were really looking forward for this one, because it will be years of prayers answered, and a family will become eternal.
This week too, we had a random phone call from this guy that spoke fluent english saying he wanted to meet with us. Well, we met him, and while we were talking I felt the Spirit saying that he is a member, and not a minute after he tells us that he was baptized and confirmed some years ago (hes japanese by the way). He wants to come back to Church and he loves meeting with us - it was just the Lord preparing Him and put us in his life to help Him.
We also were able to teach a cute little less-active grandma. And there is a special reason why I tell you this.
As we came into the neighborhood and the house that we thought was hers, it seemed like an abandoned house - except for the dog out front. We couldnt find the front door until this little cute old lady comes out with a big smile - missing the front teeth (it was a beautiful smile, Ill tell you what). Then she invites us inside. I almost cried.
It was this really old house with tons and tons of junk and stuff in the hallways and rooms - with barely enough room to walk around. We met a young lady who seemed to be her granddaughter, said hi (which seemed to brighten her day, for she had a look of lost-hope, and just emptiness in her eyes). We then followed the member up the stairs and met her son, and another grandson. The grandson had a disease where his body didnt grow as it should and he was extremely weak, and his joints looked red and swollen. We sat down on the floor and began to talk with her. The room was dark and needed a little bit of tidying up but as I paid attention to her and looked into her eyes, she was beaming. She was just full of this wonderful light. She explained that she couldnt understand all that was in the Book of Mormon, but that she read everyday. And she offered us this wonderful smile as we talked about the Savior, and what it means to have faith in Him. I was almost in tears as we saw the wonderful faith of this sister overcome so many trials and difficulties. I cant even begin to imagine what it must be like living in that house, but the Savior and the Gospel have given her peace and joy in life. She was so happy. I love the Gospel and the joy and peace that it brings in this life. Heavenly Father has truly made her burdens light through the joy of His Son. (Alma 33:23) What happiness it brought to my heart and what a testimony building experience it was to see this humble saint rely on the Atonement of her Savior. I know that He truly lives. Throughout that entire visit the Beautitudes played in my mind over and over again, strengthening my testimony in the words of the Savior when He said "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth."
On saturday before the baptism, we went out to buy something for Bro Cho, as a gift for his baptism. As my companion got in the line to the register, I decided to wait by the door, and noticed a black couple leaving the store. They saw me, and I greeted them, then the man, almost leaving, lingered and greeted me, so we started to talk. They are from Malaui (north of Mozambique) and his wife is studying at the nearby university. He explained that he is a born again Christian and that he attends services in town. And that he had never heard about our Church, but he wanted us to teach him more about what we believe. ... hold on a second, that NEVER happens in Japan - wait hold on, thats right, hes a foreigner, thats why. Miracles are happening everywhere, even in front of The Daiso.
Then yesterday we decided to go housing in this one place, but on our way there, I just felt this sudden urge to stop and house right where we were. We went to the first building we saw, and while it the first door opened, it was on the second floor that we found a new investigator! I dont claim any responsibility for this. The Lord just told us, go here and look what happens. Dont blame me! It was just a like "Theres no way we couldve done this ourselves!" kind of thing. Im speechless. The Lord is amazing!
Well, long story short, this week, probably more than any other throughout my mission, I realized how much the Lord has been pouring out the blessings. Nothing we do here is due to our work. I realized really that the Lord is doing SOO much beyond our own powers and we are just a couple of 20 year olds running around Japan - under the most sweetly profound Heavenly Guidance we could ever ask for. Its been incredible. I know the Lord lives. He is Jesus the Christ, our Redeemer, Savior, friend, and Advocate with the Father. He lives and guides this work because I am witnessing His hands move this incredible Work forward. How blessed and grateful I am to have been able to participate in this wonderful work, and gain a more deep insight on how the Lord works, and know HIm personally thorugh these experiences Ive gained. I love it. Im so grateful for it! Praise to His name, in HIS name, Jesus Christ, amen.
WIth Much Love,

Elder Victor Mourao